If you suspect a gas leak in your area, please follow these safety guidelines.
- Leave the area immediately.
- Do not turn any electrical switches on or off.
- Do not use your cell phone or a landline.
- If you are currently on a landline, do not hang up.
- Do not start your car engine.
- Once you are a safe distance from the gas smell, call your local gas company or call 911 to report the gas odor. Remain a safe distance from the suspected leak until someone from the gas company or an emergency responder says it is safe to return.
- Warn others to stay away from the area.
- Stop digging and contact 811 to process a DigUp as soon as any damage is discovered.
- Damages can include gouges, dents or breaks to coating, cable sheaths, and cathodic protection anodes or wiring.
- Report the type and location of the damage and allow the utility a reasonable amount of time to make necessary repairs.